- The A700 needs to be plugged in to both electrical power and a phone line in order to function. Start by removing the phone base, handset, phone cord, AC adapter, batteries and battery cover from the box.
- Place the batteries in the handset. Make sure that the flat side of the battery is against the spring. Once the batteries are firmly in place, slide the battery cover onto the handset.
- Plug the AC adapter and phone line cord into the back of the base of the phone and then plug the cords into a phone jack and a working electrical outlet. Place the handset on the base and let it charge for at least 12 hours.
- Once the handset is fully charged, remove it from the base and press the green Talk button and listen for the dial tone. If you can hear the dial tone, the handset is operational.
- If you are going to use the answering machine that is built into the phone, you need to make sure it is turned on at this point. If the answering machine is on, you will see 00 and A1 flashing in the windown on the base. If it is off, you will see 2 red horizontal lines in the window on the base.
- To turn on the answering machine, just press and release the button with the picture of a circle with a line coming out of it in the lower left corner of the base. You will hear the answering machine say "Answer on." It is now on and ready to take messages.